Thursday, April 12, 2012

Through The Years Presentations Feedback-19 Century PM

In order to assist with the learning process, it is imperative the feedback and constructive criticism be given to presenters, which they can use to learn and grow from.  This is where you, as the audience comes in.  The purpose of these presentations is to enhance your knowledge of a particular time period in World History, which you can take with you outside of this class and apply to making other connections.  This only works if you can walk away from a presentation with a better comprehension of the world around you.
With this in mind, please focus on the following prompts when structuring your feedback to the groups...

1. Was the presentation engaging?  If so, how?  If not, why?  What are your suggestions for improvement?

2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented?  If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding.  Why did it work?  If not, what are you missing?

3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

NOTE: Only CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK will be allowed on this blog.  Disrespectful and/or disingenuous feedback will not be tolerated and will be deleted from the blog, with consequences to follow.  

25 comments:

  1. 1. the presentation was some what engaging but there were some fouas in it though: it sounded like mostly facts and that go really boring.

    2. I feel that I have a better understanding and I am more educated on this century then I did before. like the factories were starting to appear than I thought that was in the 1900's. but the down side of it (what I felt) was that they came back to this same theme that is how much they were getting paid.

    3. they seem prepared for this.

    4. I feel that they are at meeting expectations but a part of me says that they are at not meeting expectations do to the fact that they were really factually and kept coming back to how much they were getting paid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the beginning I was kind of worried on where it was going. The presentation appeared kind of rushed and the presenters seemed like they wanted to state the facts and get it over with, but the presentation picked up and I really like how it went. I got engaged pretty soon into the presentation. The only little thing that could be improved was how the presenters addressed us, like how they themselves got into the part of a teacher and their presentation.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    My understanding of what exactly was invented was improved and I gained what went on at this time. Such as wars and the industrial revolution. I think there were a ton of facts presented which meant more work. Rather than activities that show more creativity and less work. If they jumped back and fourth from factual teaching and their activities a little bit more, it would have kept people even more engaged.Nothing really was missing.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

    It seemed like they practice ahead of time for sure.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    I don't know. Honestly I can't decide. I'd say a check, but it was a pretty good presentation that could definitely be assessed either a check or check plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I think that starting with the blog post was a good idea because i could see why do group did that. They can asses themselves based on what the people said. Starting with a video i can say got me engaged because I was trying to analyze what i was seeing. It gave an overview on the people and inventions. I am going to have to agree with zie about the first minutes of the slideshow. It seemed like you wanted us to teach each-other but we only knew the surface. There was no why to get us thinking as much. Though, the activities were really relevant and it kept the people engaged. It ended up very solid.
    2. I would have to say that i came out of there with a better understanding. The reason why was because i just knew that there was a industrial revolution but i did not know exactly happened. I learned how society responded to the changes in economy that affected the beliefs and morals of an individual. it was clear what they wanted us to get out of the presentation.
    3. This group did seemed prepared. At first during the slideshow i think that they were a little nervous but they overcame that fear right away. Everyone had the Knowledge to give to the audience.
    4. I am going to have to asses this group at a check plus (exceeds) because they really had everything in their presentation and the activities just set the mood for us and gave us that image of individuals in the 19th century.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?

    - I thought that there were very few times when we all got to work together and made the presentation engaging when we were working with the candy and we were discussing why or why not what we did was good or not. It was really hard to focus on what they were telling us because they just kept throwing facts in our face and were very rushed even though we had enough time we had like 15 minutes at the end of class to kill.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    In a way i do feel like i toke something from this presentation i understood and learned a few new things but it was hard to since it was hard to pay attention.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

    The group seemed very much prepared i just felt that when they were going over there presentation a few members were confused on what they were talking about but other than that they seemed very prepared.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    Overall i would give them either a check minus or a check not sure yet i do love the fact that they seemed very prepared for this but something i felt they could have done was have more of a conversation with us instead of just throwing us facts and it would have also helped if some of the members were more respectful towards what some people had to say instead of "okay, whatever" etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1.
    I think that the presentation was engaging and it kept people busy. At first it wasn’t because of the slideshow they had and they were just kind of throwing facts out there and that got kind of boring and when that happens it’s hard to really pay attention. I think that the blog was a good idea as well because it helped us see as an individual and the group themselves of how we went into the presentation and what we left knowing from it.
    2.
    I feel like I do have a better understanding of the century. With all the facts that were being stated and with the activities that we had that helped us really understand and have the facts stick to us on a deeper level. Something that I got to really know about was how people got treated in their jobs and how they got paid.
    3.
    The group seemed very prepared for the presentation, you could tell that they spent time thinking about what they did and that they practiced things before. Everyone seemed to know what they were talking about and they all had a part in the presentation.
    4.
    Overall I would asses them at a check. I think that they met expectations and that they did really good with having us engaged and I think that everyone walked away with a new understanding of the century.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The presentation was VERY engaging, I don't think there was a minute where I was not engaged or interested.
    2. I do feel like I have a better understanding of their century. Although I knew the majority of what they were saying, they went into a bit more detail than what I had learned before. The thing that I found really helpful to increase my understanding was the assembly line activity, just because we got to see how horribly people were being treated and for very little money....
    3. The group seemed extremely prepared. They all knew what their parts were and what to say.
    4. I would assess them at a check plus. Their presentation kept me entertained/interested at all times and I did learn a lot about their century and their activities were helpful and fun at the same time.
    Good job, guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?
    I think the presentation was relatively engaging. I think the teaching was good and the information was good and the connections were there and everything was well organized. I think the group was kind of rushed though. We didn't have much time to do things like the blog post. So my only suggestion would be that don't rush time so much.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?
    I have a better understanding of the century. I think all the information was good and the connections were there and I could understand.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?
    The group seemed pretty nervous and you could tell, but overall I think they were well prepared for their presentation.
    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?
    It is definitely a solid V, but if they got a V+ I could see why. Great Job Guys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the presentation very engaging. I think all of the activities they did were fun and taught me something. I think the initial presentation they did was also good, though maybe a bit long.

    I definitely have a better understanding of this century. I think having everybody say what they knew before and after the presentation was a great idea. I realized that I knew more than I thought I did. The presentation gave me the most information throughout their lesson but the activities kind of reinforced what we learned and gave us examples of things.

    I think the group seemed very prepared. They knew all of the information that they wanted to give us and were able to get us to each activity on time so we weren't rushing everything.

    Overall, I would give the learning opportunity that the group presented to me a check plus. They had great activities and though the initial presentation may have been a little long for some people, they presented the information for it well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1.
    I think the presentation was very engaging from the very beginning, there was a lot of great information and it seemed like everyone in the group was quite familiar with their information. The main thing I would suggest is that you find another way to quiet people day, yelling "Shut up!" is not really professional and sort of rude on top of that.

    2.
    I have a really good understanding of the 19th century, I think what I learned the most from was in the activities they had like the Candy Shop one and also when we were going over the powerpoint. I think it worked because you were constantly talking, there wasn't lots of pauses and "uhhhh." So that was good.

    3.
    I think they were very prepared for the presentation based on the information and how things were presented. I could support this more by saying that I saw the entire group practicing at the library after school, so that was good.

    4.
    I would asses them with a check. The got all of the information out in an engaging matter. The last game we did where we were split into two groups was the only things that I know confused a lot of people cause none of them were exact answers, so there wasn't really a point of a winning and losing team.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The presentation was pretty good, at first the slideshow wasn't really engaging but later on it got better with the candy. I think the group could have done better with actually listening to eachother because I saw that a few group members were overtalking the other. Like I noticed adrianna cut off Angela and I think it could have helped if they would have listened to eachother present. I did learn a lot of cool stuff because I walked in knowing not really anything and walked out with industrial revolution, the inventions,and arts/fashion of that century. I think they
    were prepared for they're presentation for the most part and I think it was a pretty good presentation. Overall I think they deserve a check. They did what was asked and no more or less

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?

    I feel that the presentation was engaging but for those who chose to be engaging, not really to all though. When you had the presentation you asked questions but it was really just the same people answering. I felt engaged, i was answering questions asking them and overall trying to share my input. I feel that you guys could improve on in general getting everyone into the conversation or have activities where everybody needs to be doing something, you did have the inventions thing, but some took it as whatever, and the factory activity was only open to girls and those who volunteered.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    I really feel that i have a much better understanding of the century. I really got how it was the basis of what we are today. Like the fashion changes, the industrial revolution and the new ideas. What they did really worked because they got us to understand and then elaborate.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

    Yes they seemed very prepared although at times with the presentation they would do a mini stop and try to see who was next or they would cut each other off. But for the most part they all did seem prepared, they new their stuff.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    Overall i would asses them as a check, because i feel that they met expectations. But if they would have got us more into it, a check plus could have been seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?

    Yes, the presentation was engaging, fun, and very well laid out. I feel like this presentation was a perfect balance between structured learning and fun interaction. I loved the activities, the props they brought, etc. The way we all were really together and sitting in a circle really brought a personal, fun vibe to the presentation and let us forget for a moment that we were learning all this stuff at the same time.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    I have a really really strong understanding about this century. I feel like they hit on every area they were supposed to with the starting presentation and I think it was good they did that because then they could make sure everyone was really focused and learning the info. I think that the ending activity really showed how everyone was on the same page and demonstrated that people really took something out of the presentation.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

    The group seemed extraordinarily organized and prepared. It flowed throughout the entire two hours and time flew by so quickly. I couldn't believe that two hours had passed because it was so engaging and not boring. :)

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    I would definitely give the group an exceeding expectations. It's very apparent how well the group did, and I feel like it would be crazy and straight up mean to not give the group a check plus. I could see how much time, energy and effort went into this presentation and they really hit a home run with this presentation. I loved it. Great job!!! They were well prepared and delivered perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1.The presentation was very engaging and unlike the some of the other groups we got the point of each activity and it didn't require further explanation because it was very well executed. It felt very well structured and the questions that went along with it made it easy to retain what we were being taught.
    2. In your blog i posted how i didn't know absolutely nothing on the century other than the industrial revolution. Through out the power point i was retaining all the knowledge i was receiving. You guys really made an effort to cover all the Themes of History which i felt like you guys really covered. It was also really fun to have us split in two and have have us duke it out with a refound knowledge of the 19th century. Though throughout the presentation i felt like some people were cutting others off.
    3. The group was very prepared, but i feel like you guys were really pushy to try to keep on the specific time frame you guys set for yourself. You were all very prepared though and there were no awkward moments of silence.
    4. I would give this group an exceeding expectations due to all the innovative ideas of presenting your century. It was an amazing presentation and really sets the bar every presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think at the beginning the presentation was sort of boring. It was a power point and seemed sort of monotone which had me wondering if something was gonna be coming to help change that. Happily, there was a big improvement after the power-point that helped pull the presentation into something that was interesting to follow. Next time, I suggest to think of another way to present the info rather than that first 20-30 minutes but to keep the interesting activities that you had.

    I feel I have a better understanding of what the industrial revolution and the new inventions brought with them, but I still am confused about everything else. It felt like all that was being taught about was mainly the U.S. and that's it. Now there was some about Europe in there, but not near of what I wished I had seen. I already knew a lot about the U.S. history, so I was wishing they were going to focus more on the European and Asian aspect since the U.S. teachings are normally taught the most. I think what they covered was very detailed, but I think it was too focused on one part of the world.

    I would say the group was prepared. They transitioned nicely, they seemed to know where they were going, and seemed to know where to pick up and leave off. There is always room for improvement, most notably the cutting off of people, and some little stumbles with what was being said. But overall, I would say they knew they're material enough to make us understand it.

    Overall, I would give the group a check. They knew their topic, they kept us engaged, and got they're points across very well. Had they focused more on other parts of the world instead of the overdone U.S. history aspect, I could see them most likely getting a check plus. Since it was focused 80% of the time in one country/area, that cuts back on my assessment quite a bit. Otherwise, good job guys.

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement? I believe that their presentation was pretty engaging. I believe that it was very informing. After they would teach us something, they'd use an activity to help us better understand their century.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing? I believe i do have a better understanding of their century. One aspect was their activity where they showed use how mass production worked back then.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?
    They seemed very prepared. It seemed as if each member was greatly informed about their century to where they could answer any question given to them.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you? I would asses them with a check plus

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?it was engaging most of the time just felt like the ending could had been better if their was more interaction but it was good though

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?
    i feel like i a;ready had an understanding of the century before the century thanks to the previous century but the thing that they did was cleared more things out and what happen basically made my understanding

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation? for most part they were prepare to them just little things could had been fixed but it seemed they were prepared

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?
    i would they have meet expectation because they got their point of their century across and they kept most time the class engaging
    even when class was starting to brake apart they were able to put them back on task.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?
    The presentation was engaging… When they got us all together, they had the presentation going, and how they asked us to join in and say what we saw and to contribute to the conversation. Suggestion would have to be… not to be to sexist next time… :p haha I know you had too because of the times.
    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?
    I feel that I do because even though this was one of my favorite period of time when in middle school, I had forgotten greatly about it… this was quite a thrill to go over it.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?
    I do feel they were quite prepared in the presentation and everything and seemed to be quite on queue. They seemed to have every minute calculated.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?
    Overall, I would give them a check. Kudos on the work well done and being well prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 1.I thought that this group had the best presentation so far and i found it very engaging and fun. they had plenty of activities that helped me understand the points they were trying to get across.the only suggestion i have is to try to include more people in the activities.

    2.I think that I have a much better understanding Of this century and i think that was because of the candy activity. I also think that what helped me a lot was the initial presentation on the smart board. I always found that kind of presentation to be the hardest to keep engaged in, but they did a great job.


    3.The group was very prepared for the presentation and did not need much of anything to know what they were doing.

    4.I would give this a check plus.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?
    I think that the presentation was really engaging. There were many activities that were actually relevant to the century.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?
    I do feel like I have a better understanding of the 19th century. I learned a lot about the industrial revolution and how it impacted people then and how we still see it today.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?
    They did seem prepared and they each knew what to say at all times. They all seemed to be experts on their century as well.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?
    I would give them a check/check plus because they met all expectations and had creative activities given to us and it wasn't boring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?

    The presentation was engaging. I liked how they, asked us questions in the beginning. They made me think of what the stuff that was from the 1800s. The beginning started with a lot of facts and was sort of rushed, but in the end they explained more.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    It was more like a refresher course for me because I learned a lot about this during 8th grade class. I also worked on a paper last year about the 1800s and the information was pretty close to what I got. I also learned a lot of new things from this century.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?

    The group seemed prepared for the presentation. The activities were good, the slideshow was good, and they also knew their century.

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    I would give them a check. I think they met the expectation. The was engaged throughout the whole thing and everyone learned from their presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think overall there presentation was enaging the activities they had were engaging for the mmost part, and the candy presentation was pretty unique and cool. It really let me understand the society during this time finacially.
    Yes i feel like i have a better understanding of the century. I didnt know how rough the society was with slaves until Abraham Lincoln came into the picture. So yes I did get something out of the presentation:)
    I do believe the group was prepared for the presentation. Something I would saY. Although during the presentation there was some certain people being sort of rude and cutting off other members that were speaking. Which I can understand that they wanted a perfect presentation but i think the work could have been split more evenly between all of them.
    I think I would give this presentation a CHECK. They had some really cool ideas and good information. I just think some parts of the presentation fell flat and needed a pick me up. Still i believe this group did a good job. Theyre is always room for improvement (:

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. at the beginning i was like im going to be so bored but i actually thought it was pretty good i was engaged and i learned they had some fun activities that kept me really engaged and even though in some activities we wernt all able to participate we were still all kept engaged.

    2. i do feel like i have a better understanding because at the beggining i wasnt able to name one thing that i knew about the century but after i was like bamb bamb bamb and i knew all these things.

    3. the group seemed VERY prepared for what they had to say and the activities they had to do and what they had to say when they had to say it.

    4. i would asses the group a CHECK PLUS because they were so good they knew their material and they were so preparred and they were so far the best group.

    ReplyDelete
  24. 1. Was the presentation engaging? If so, how? If not, why? What are your suggestions for improvement?

    The Presentation was very engaging, in the beginning I really like the way they brought in props and they seemed very knowledgeable about their topics. The activities were relevant to their century and very fun and engaging.

    2. Do you feel you have a better understanding of the century presented? If so, comment on at least one aspect of the presentation that assisted you with this better understanding. Why did it work? If not, what are you missing?

    I do have a better understanding of what was going. I also learned a lot of new things and I know how some of them effected us today.

    3. Did the group seem prepared for the presentation?
    smoothly and nice. They seems like they knew what to do.
    It seemed very prepared and things went through

    4. Overall, how would you assess the learning opportunity the group presented to you?

    I would have to assess between Check and Check Plus for a very nice lesson plan that I happen to benefit from attending that day. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete