List from AM:
Local-
National-
9/11
Global-
Terrorism (inc. Osama)
Technology
Looking at the list above and the list below (you can pick from both), please pick 3 items (people or events) and draw your personal connections. Please show how it personally connects/affects you. Please post your response before class tomorrow. Also, think outside the box, and draw as many connections and affects as you can to the item.
List from PM:
Local-
Joe Arpaio
"Going Green"
National-
Raised National Debt Limit
President Barack Obama
President George W. Bush
Global-
9/11
Company Bailouts/The Bailout (of car, bank, and insurance companies)
I would have to say that there is not much to go on in these lists.
ReplyDeleteI would say that 9/11 affected me in a way that I was at a young age so seeing all the people falling out of the building, etc. made me feel very depressed like others. although there was no school what were we going to do it really took apart the day for use. the raise in national debt actually affects me because me and my family are in the middle to low class and that pushes the limits. I have to say I've been going green. kids recycle!
I would say that first a for most president george bush effected me the most because he is the one that declared war in Iraq. This caused my brother to be sent off to fight and effected myfelf emotionally as well as my entire family.
ReplyDeleteSecond Presiden Barack Obama is a direct connection to the war after George bush was taken out of the presidentcy, it was up to Barack Obama to lead te war and say what goes next.This was not simple for someone with really no exspeorance to do. This struck fear in my families hearts just seeing where the wa will go next.
And alst but not least technology from the AM classes lisyt has effected me greatly throughout my life because everything i do is either on my phome or on a computer. Without those two things its almost impossile for me to function. Technology plays a huge role in almost everybodys life, giving people the easier way out.
I think, as Mr. Lafave repeatedly mentioned, everything will connect to you in one way or another. 9/11 will forever be a big part in everyone's lives. This event, although I don't remember much about it or am directly affected by it, it has changed a lot of things in my life and in my daily routine. Simply going to the airport, I see the after math of post 9/11. Watching TV (60 minutes) I heard stories about anyone named Muhammad having to go through extreme examination before boarding a plane. I see constant stereotypes of "terrorists" on TV and in Movies like 'Jackass 2'. In my family, I know my dad lost someone during 9/11 and I know it’s a really rough topic for him to handle and just seeing him go through that when talking about it, really affects me and shows me how much damage it really did.
ReplyDeleteJoe Arpaio, his actions again, do not affect me directly, but seeing those who he affects, does affect me. Being downtown you see protestors lined the streets. Knowing that one race is under discrimination while I’m perfectly fine and safe although I have no more of a right to be here than anyone else, makes me feel pretty bad and just like I am at fault. His actions give our law a bad name. Arizona isn’t the best place ever, but things like this hurt our reputation and the place where I come from, directly affecting me.
Barack Obama, his over presidency is leading our country into better times and what he’s doing is helping us, but his negative impact on small businesses is affecting my family. My dad owns a small business, so when the president isn’t going to help too much to benefit small businesses, it’s definitely not a good thing and can affect my family and me, negatively. Depending on what he does/plans to do in the future, my future life could be a lot easier or a lot worse. Taxes could rise or decrease, but for right now, no one can fully predict where our president will lead us.
I think he biggest thing on the list that affected me is the big company bailouts. Because of those bailouts it has put a lot of strain on these companies trying to make ends meet. Them trying to make the projected numbers for a certain month. And that in turn has caused the prices of insurance in general making it more difficult to pay bills that were once a lot cheaper.
ReplyDeleteSecond thing i think has affected is the "going green movement. I feel that it has affected us in a good way. Because with all these people trying to go green it has really influenced me to make the right decisions when it comes to recycling or cutting down the amount of resources that i use and also reusing things that can be reused like water bottles and such.
The last thing i feel that affects me is well going off of what the other class had said which is technology as a whole. I mean technology is basically something we all connect to. Just our computers alone are our connection to almost everything. i am heavily connected to technology on a daily basis i mean i cant walk 10 feet without seeing some form of technology at work in my life making it easier for me to live my life.
I would say that the national debt has greatly affected me. The debt that our country is in, isn't all Bush's fault and I don't think it's fair to push all the blame on him, but the debt that we are in definitely effects me, directly. Because of that, my aunt has to take out more and more student loans just to give her a good education. She just graduated with a masters in anesthesiology and it took her so long to finally be able to be done, but the reality is, she really isn't done. She has so many student loans to pay off. She can't even think about gaining money for herself. Not for years. My sister is in college and has to pay for all of her books that cost about 100 dollars each. I'm going to have to put so much money into college that I just wont be able to afford. I am working my butt off in school to make sure that I will be able to qualify for a scholarship in college, otherwise, I will not be able to go at all. It greatky affects me. It affects my future in every way. It will decide whether or not I go to college, where I go to college, what I do for a living, what I do in my future in general.
ReplyDeleteTechnology has definitely been a huge part in shaping this generation and I'm sure many more to come. I can't go an hour without my phone. I have phone with drawls. Every time I open my computer, it's like out of routine, I check my facebook before I do anything else. Technology is advancing so fast and everyone jumps on the next big thing. First, flip phones, then phones that slid, then phones that did both, then touch screen, then i phones, then the next generation of i phones. It just keeps growing and growing. Every one has to have the next big thing and I can't imagine what it would be like if we have kids. I'm sure we will just keep growing in technology and who knows where we will be by the time the next generation comes.
Joe Arpaio also has a large effect on me. My family isn't affected directly by it, but I am around it all the time. Kids at school talk about how much it affects them and how they do or don't like what he's doing. Sometimes, people even get into full blown arguments about him. I feel like they make such a huge deal of it and I mean it's understandable. I just hear people talk about it so often and everyone is always going to remember what he did and what he stands for. On the negative side, families are being split up and risks are being taken, but on the positive side, he is making a difference, whether it be positive or negative, he is doing something that everyone talks about and sees the effects of every day. I walk out onto the street and see signs that say how much they hate him and the work he's doing. I see people tagging walls with their opinions and making them publicly known. This impacts us every day and we can't avoid it.
Three events/people:
ReplyDelete“Going Green”: I Believe that Going Green/Being more environmentally friendly affects me in a lot of ways, such ways as in the future when I am older and want to buy a car, as well as the fact of the environment I will Be living in. With how our world is going on Right now, it is difficult in my opinion to depict whether we will be driving cars in the future, will there be enough gasoline, or will the prices rise tremendously that people will refuse to pay, with all these issues going on we have now started to make many new alternatives. For example, we have made cars that run on Bio-diesel, electricity, and the state has provided us the light rail which helps out a lot with saving gas and money. With these new solutions, that are eco-friendly it will Be Better in the long run for when I am older and looking for a car, I will not have to face the challenges we are facing today. As well, if we enforce that we need to recycle, and all the new alternatives we have today, that have helped out the environment, it will be a Better outcome for the near future.
Company bail outs: Another event that may affect me would be company bail outs, and I said this because this is where most of the money comes from, and goes to. If the Big companies such as the Bank, insurance, and other companies start to go down, then there goes the money I had invested, and that would cause the economy to go downhill. It is pretty obvious that once the economic level is low, it will affect many jobs, markets, and many things that will affect society.
Technology: Last But Not least, the other thing that affects me now, that can continue in the future is technology. Technology affects me in Both a Good, and Negative way. A Good way considering that I am able to complete tasks faster, and more efficiently such as using the computer, telephone, cameras etc. to Do projects, to research, communicate faster which are more convenient in our world today. On the other hand it is a negative thing, because I could use it to the level where I am manipulating it to the point where I cannot live without it, and that is something I Do not want. With so much technology available now a days, it is so hard to imagine life without it, but what if we got to the point where we were not able to use it anymore, what would happen? That would affect me in a huge way, because now I have one less huge factor available in my own hands.
When looking at all these events and people that we have chosen as the most important, the one that affects me the most is Joe Arpaio. The reason why i say this is because growing up in a entir family of illegal imagrants has not been the easiest. My mom has stuggled to raise me and my siblings due to the limited amount of jobs available to her. The ones that are available to her are ones that are not well paid and my mom only had the option to take it. besides that my mom has been stuck there for almost ten yearas and at times she fears going to work. The reason why is becasue Joe has raids all the time, and he targets businesses that knows hispanics work in. That is stereotypical but he also has systems that let him know how many people are using fake socials. My family knowing that he is the sherriff they are even fearful to drive out in the streets. Joe Arpaio has simmply brought fear into my family, and me.
ReplyDeleteAnother event that has impacted me out of that list is the company bailout. This was when huge cooperations that affected the world economy were about to fall, but the government prevented that by loaning them huge amounts of money. This impacts me in a indirect way. I say this because if these huge businesses would of falled i beleive that the world economy would of been worst than today. Today it is pretty bad and i have seen people around my neighborhood suffer due to the lack of jobs. Thanks to the company bailout huge businesses were able to succeed and keep the economy from a further downfall. Banks were able to keep loaning money to smaller businesses so that they can keep adding to the economy. A lot of the stuff that we have today, especially "greener" cars i would say was because of this event in.
Lastly, i am going to say Barrack obama. Before being elected he promised this nation with a lot of beneficail things. One of the things that he promised was fighting for a immigration reform and i think that he has given hope to many individuals. Locally, i have seen a lot protest for an immigration reform and i think that Obama is doing his best to accomplush what he promised. I can connect to every goal that he has had during his term. he has supported the dream act, immigration reform, and has even signed the health care bill. What he has in mind can truly shape the world in the 21st century. He is setting the foundation for global health care, and a world or nation of freedom.
Not many of these option affected me directly but i'm sure there is a connection. 911 affected me because i was at a young age and i shouldn't have been learning/hearing about this at my age and i know in the classroom i was at some of my classmates had relatives there so it was sad to hear the stories. "Going green" also is a big part in my life right now because ever since we have raised awareness about being environmentally friendly i take this serious i try to be as green as i can as home and my family also feels the same way. Joe Arpaio has affected me because of friends and family who are being deported or are scared of getting deported because they think that they will get caught. I feel like i have been there for emotional support of my friends and family.
ReplyDeleteI think that I have been affected by Joe Arpaio the most because he has been a lot of the reason that a lot of people I know have struggled to make a living. A lot of family friends that we were really close to are no longer here in Arizona because of they are afraid that Joe Arpaio might deport them, making everything they worked for for nothing.Because of the recent laws that have been passed, it has been even harder for other people including families that I know very well.
ReplyDeleteI think that going green has also been very influential to me personally because it is everywhere now. It is on tv, radio, billboards and we even talk about how important it is at our school. That pretty much covers my whole day and I generally like the idea of going green. I think that all that has been done for people to start going green has made it easier for me to get into it. at my house, we have a bin for trash and a bin for recycling and I have definitely been recycling more since we got it.
The last thing is what happened in 9/11 because I think that it has affected everyone really. After what happened in 9/11, the whole country began to think differently about who they let in.laws became a lot stricter about immigration, which has affected the way I live and the way a lot of my friends and families live.
I think that i coonect personally to 9/11 becasue i have family in new york who were affected by this incendent. It hit me on that emotional level as well as how close new york is to my heart. I later had seen the documentary on 9/11 and even then to see what happened to and just have personal connection really touched my heart. I have visted the world trade center and it just amazed me that such an event could take place. Osama was a major influence to that event so of course i disliked the man. i follwed the breaking news stories on the news and i know that my family had discussions about who he was and what he did to help us to understand better what was going on. they all comme into play but the main person connection that i had that influneced me was 9/11 and the connection of terrism and osama.
ReplyDeleteThe 3 things that stick out to me and affect/will affect me shortly are 9-11, Terrorism, and the raised national debt limit. The first two will affect how my career goes. 9-11 caused the war that we are currently in and the terrorists attack people at random. Because of 9-11, I now have a dangerous place that I will most likely to be deployed to after college when I enlist to do my part. Terrorism affects me because 1, they are the people that I'll be fighting against, and 2, because of the random attacks you don't know who is going to be next. Because of that, that makes me want to defend my friends, family, and country even more by eliminating the threat as soon as possible, which will make my future even more dangerous. Finally, the raised national debt limits affect/will affect me because it just means I will have to work harder and longer to get as far beforehand. All of these mean my life will be a hard road to go through as I try and live my life as best as I can, and it honestly seems grim to me. We all have a rough time to head into and we, the students, have to fix the giant mess everyone is in at the moment.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGoing Green is the movement that has affected me most personally because I have to be a part of it in order for it to actually happen in my community. I also feel like it is affected me on a personal level because the effects of global warming and pollution and everything like that has affected me personally because it's the mess that previous generations have left for ours to clean up. We're left with all the hard work and if we want our kids in our future generations to have a good life we have to do all these things to make it so that the future generations aren't having all this junk to deal with in their time. Going green is something that I see and hear about every day it's day at my school. it's good in my community and it seems like everyone's getting involved. Not only is it really helpful but I'm starting to see it as almost social way of living and it's almost stylish to be going green, at least in my age and generation. I think going green has changed kids outlook on the world I think before this whole movement happened people were really ignorant and now I finally starting to really see what matters and what we need to do and people that aren't getting involved seem almost selfish and clueless.
ReplyDeleteGeorge Bush was another really influential person to my generation because he kind of screwed up our economy and presented the recession right as I was being born and now this is what I have to work with, this is what my future kids have to deal with this is what we're left with and it really affect us all because now we're taking on the punishment for his actions and things just aren't as easy as they could've been if it weren't for George W. Bush.
If I had to pick another event I would pick 9/11. 9/11 occurred when I was in kindergarten and I remember my parents being really really upset and the news being turned on and school being canceled and it was just really a hard day because even though I didn't understand what was happening it was affecting everyone around me and was just kind of a burden on my family and my friends. I think it's made people my age kind of more stereotypical against people as a whole because just because Osama bin Laden and the Taliban had something to do with 9/11 terrorist attacks, people wrongly associate that entire ethnicity with crime sometimes which is prejudice and racist.. It's also made kids a little bit less willing to trust people and quick to make assumptions about how bad things are and to easily think the worst of situations. It's exposed us to such intense violence at such a young ages that things arent as shocking to us anymore..
911
ReplyDeletegoing green
technology
I would say that 911 did affect me. I think that it was something that affected the whole country, as one. It was a very emotional day for a lot of people and I remember being in class that day. I remember watching it, and promptly after we saw the broadcast, our teacher had asked us to draw the event, and how we felt about it. Then, I didn't really know what to feel. Yes, I knew it was such a tragedy and that many died, but it wasn't till I grew up that I realized how many were affected, and how many lives were lost. It was an event that really changed the way that some people worked. The airport security got a lot stricter, flying has become a hassle to some. I believe that this is the reason why the war started in Iraq, and why we are in debt, as a country.
Going green was something that I took to heart. Learning about the planet and how much we hurt it is terrible. Again, when being a child you don't realize what is going on in the world. National and global issues aren't something that you think about. Growing up, I started to realize how much damage we as humans have done to this Earth that we have. You would think that people would care more, we only have one. And this is how you treat it? I try to be as green as possible. I recycle, reuse, and try not to contribute to things that hurt the Earth. I think about it, all the factories that release emissions and cars. CO2 levels leading to Global Warming, it's sad really. Carpooling isn't that difficult. Some people are just too stubborn and don't think that it does anything but they are ignorant. I really wish more people would care about the trees. I love trees.
Technology. Something that we depend on. We have come to depend so much on technology. We have technology that does the job of numerous things. You have an alarm clock, calculator, internet, calender, weather, note pad, games, movies, music, computer, flashlight, address book, compass, and even a fast food restaurant locator. How ironic to think that us, being lazy can use an Application on a phone and find a fast food restaurant, this contributing to Obesity. Kids are receiving phones younger and younger instead of actually being physically active. It is affecting everybody in negative and positive ways. It is contributing to our laziness, and is helping us have everything there at once. It is something that I personally use. I use my iPod for everything. When it comes to upgrading my phone, I'm not sure if I want a smart phone. Sure, it is technologically savvy, but I don't want to become dependent on my phone. It's a tool, not a toy. That's how I see it.
9/11 changed me in the sense that it changed the world I was growing up in.. I remember standing with my school mates in the playground in front of the school and our principal telling us what happened.. that was in first or second grade and after that things didn't change all that much but it just changed how I viewed the world. It wasn't just a place where an occasional murder would happen, but it was a place where someone could give the instructions to kill thousands of people and get away with it. It wasn't like I changed, it was just that I grew up not knowing how I felt about the world around me.
ReplyDeleteGeorge w bush didn't change my life. He enacted no child left behind and sent troops to war so I grew up with my family members fighting in Iraq and afganistan. Something that that instilled in me was a desire to join the military and after college, I will be enlisting in the army or the air force so I guess that's kinda big.
Obama made me lose faith in the people of the US. He's not that great and can't keep his word and that's sad that people voted for him out of the blue because he made empty promises about what he was going to do. It made me sad at times about the direction that he has led our country in. And just one example is the debt, we are digging ourselves a ginormous hole that we can't climb out of. And my childred and their children will be paying for the mistakes that this guy made.
After class today I would say that we are all affected in one way or another by the smallest and biggest impacts that occur around us.
ReplyDeleteFirstly Joe Arpaio, the sheriff! To me honestly I believe that he is only doing the job he is suppose to which is following the law and putting them into action. Yes this topic doesn’t affect me directly but most of my friends and their families. I have had friends who had people they know being sent back to Mexico and some actually see them being taken away from them for a while.
9/11 it happened when I was younger of course but I know my family was really upset about it because it had just happened a couple days after my aunt left New York. Another reason it affects me is the after math or 9/11 my family was upset because uncle would be going back to fight in the War.
Barack Obama has affected me personally and the environment around me. For one everyone knows that things are made possible if your try your best. But Obama running to be president and all really got everyone thinking how great and amazing this is to have a Black president and making us believe things are even more possible for people to do what and do what they love.
The Go Green movement has become very popular and very necessary for my generation. People are becoming more and more aware of things like global warming. I am constantly confronted with different organizations or movements that are trying to make the world cleaner, more “green”. My family and I have started many of the green initiatives like recycling, composting, and cutting back on car usage.
ReplyDeleteTechnology has become a necessity in life. Every day I have to use my phone to keep in touch with my parents or with friends. I need a computer and the internet to do schoolwork. Technology gives me freedom. Technology has helped me in other ways too, though. Without technology we wouldn’t have things like surgeries, without surgery I would have lost friends, relatives, and probably my parents.
9/11 has impacted everyone in some way. Although I was young, I still remember watching the footage of the recovery efforts on TV with my parents. I’ve seen the effects that 9/11 has had in airports whenever my family and I have gone on trips and with the wars it started overseas. I’ve become especially more aware of these effects since my brother joined the navy.
The three that I chose are going green, Raised in national debt, Barack Obama.
ReplyDeleteFirst let’s start with the national debt limit. Since theirs allot debt going on allot people lose their jobs and people losing their jobs causes a chain reaction. The price of resource increases because they don’t have as many workers they had before. Not just that it impacts business area even if I don’t work they price of resource increases so it potentially comes back at when I am trying to get some I need. Remember when I said when resource price increases well it bring up my next point that at this time petroleum price has increases since we running out of it, and our society needed to trust a more reliable source of energy and that’s where going green comes in it helps our world be little more cleaner for reusing are resources and it just not it help our economy find more reliable source of energy like solar energy, wind power/etc. it was like an eye opener but with Barack Obama as our president change the image of our nation as moment of change.
I choose these three because to me they connected because they all led up to change in our nation
I would say technology is something that definitely affects me. For one, we are posting on a blog that is connected to the internet, which we need a computer or cell phone for. I am around technology 24/7. We use computers for school, I have home computers, and I can’t go anywhere without having my phone. I don’t think we will ever stop using technology, just because of how convenient it’s becoming for us. Technology is advancing more and more each day, and we always want the newest and faster, more advanced item. Not too long ago, the world only had big chunky computers, TVs and cell phones. Today we see IPads, IPhones, touch screens, laptops, flat screens, and so many other ideas, such as, the really cool computer thing on Iron Man, or new generations of IPhones. (: If suddenly, we were to just loose all of our technology, or to where I lost it personally, I would have a really tough time going back to when technology wasn’t so important to me.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing I think that affects me would be Joe Arpaio. I’ll probably get scolded for this, but I honestly don’t care for him, or what he is/isn’t doing. Even though I don’t care, he still affects me because people ask for my opinion, and start to debate and argue about what I think. To me, he’s just another person doing is job. The only reason people hate him, is because it’s his face and name that’s put to that job. He also affects me, because I see all the protesting and people chanting about how much they don’t like him. I believe because we all live in Arizona, we are affected by him in some way, whether directly or not. The majority of us have seen signs or protesters, and the fact that we see that and hear about him all around Arizona shows that we are affected by his decisions.
The whole “Going Green” has definitely affected me. Especially going to Bio where we talk a lot about sustainability and just working with the Roosevelt Row community has taught me a lot. When I was younger, I knew that we were hurting our planet, but I never realized how bad global warming is becoming. It directly affects me, because we are around pollution all the time going to school downtown. It’s our generation’s job to actually do something about this issue, and I think many people are becoming aware that this is actually a huge problem and doing something about it. Today there are so many signs and commercials about going green, and I believe we are definitely making a change. I know I recycle as much as I can, and definitely try to use things that are better for the Earth. After all, this is our only planet, and I wouldn’t want to be part of the group that’s damaging it even more.
9/11
ReplyDeleteThough I can’t really say this event affected me directly (other than making my birthday rather awkward and sometimes just unenjoyable), the wake it left certainly did. Ever since, it has been somewhat tedious to get onto a plane (understandably of course) and as selfish as that sounds, in comparison to the overall lenient nature of the airport pre 9/11, our current security checks could be seen as tedious or overbearing. Other than this, it (obviously) affected the media, and the pictures that they wanted to paint of terrorists and their country of origin, while I would like to think that this had minimal impact on me, it still leaves an impact for better or for worse such as “implanting” stereotypes. (I’ll admit: I thought the “Achmed the dead terrorist” act was rather funny).
Terrorism
Well, darn, I don’t think I can say much else for Terrorism in general that I haven’t said for 9/11 while I suppose I could expand on the thought of the media painting a group of people in a light of terrorism despite other terrorist attacks in other countries done by other ethnic or religious groups (media bias at work I suppose). In addition, it seems (to me) that terrorist attacks on other large nations make it seem like “powerhouse” nations (such as ourselves) are still vulnerable, and this leaves the same sort of shock on the public (myself included) that our nation is “attack-able” or “vulnerable” despite our thought that our military is one of the most powerful in the world.
Technology
To attempt to sum it up, technology (in my opinion) has the most direct affect on me, considering it supplies so much for me on a daily basis. It provides transportation, it provides entertainment, it provides communication, it provides all this and more, which, in it of itself, is a pretty big impact on how I live (and the rest of our society for that matter). But one of the most important things is the speed of communication, it creates the absorption of more information and even more biased “facts” and opinions, which indirectly influences our own.
The three topics i would like to chose are going green, Joe Arpiao, and technology. I choose these specifically because i feel that i may connect to them more on the personal level.
ReplyDeleteGoing green has been a social controversy and dilemma for quite a while now. Many say that it's expenses are quite unnecessary as others argue that it is only to save our Earth that in such little time we have managed to change completely for the worse. Many households though are trying to do their part and by doing so influence others. Like my own home we recycle and have switched our light bulbs into renewable light bulbs. We try to cut down in power by disconnecting things when not in use.
The second point which is Joe Arpio which is affecting the local community. Arpio is known for his controversial ways of treating immigration in Arizona. Splitting families apart, and noncomplying more workers in Az something that has already been an issue previously. It affects the Hispanic ethnic group because of racial profiling many police officers are stopping Hispanics, due to their physical appearance asking for legal documentation. I myself know of people who have been deported or unemployed due to Joe Arpaio.
My third point was technology . In every part of the world the definition for technology differs. For a certain part it may be an advancement to something they find beneficial to them. In every part of the world they are slowly advancing onto what we believe is modern. To me personally technology is extremely noticeable due to our environment that we are placed in including in our learning environment we are given laptops to identify and use the newest advancements available to the public. I think that as far as Az goes it is being evident to us that they have become modern in technology that is being eco-friendly, technology that is allowing us to advance more whether that means going smaller or bigger for its design and capacity.
Technology is one of those aspects that feeds into out greed and need for convenience as humans. Technology is pretty much in charge of everything you see around you, and that is one of the great aspects of technology. Though I feel that we are so self absorbed we need to have new advancements every six months while medical advancements are coming at such a lower rate due to low finical aid. Big cooperate companies aren’t in need of financial help are capable of manufacturing mass amounts of new gadgets every so often, while there are countless organizations for medical issues that require donations to make any advancement what so ever. If we utilized technology for other purposes other than self pleasure we would be a more all around healthier society.
ReplyDeleteThe National Recession/ National Debt Increase has essentially affected everyone in the US, and has even went to effecting people globally. I live twelve to thirteen miles away from school, and looking at those numbers my dad essentially drives around fifty miles a day five days off the week. With the prices of everything racking up especially gas has caused us to spend a good portion of my parents money into taking me to school. With money becoming the biggest issues across the nation in homes my parents are left with less to pay bills with or purchase food with. This doesn’t just go with the increased amount on everything it also makes things worse were you have a terrible job, and your barely making pay living pay check to pay check. This has caused people to fall in debt and eventually file for bankruptcy. This isn’t something that has occurred over night, but over an accumulation of years that has led us to where we are now. We are trying to target the issue, but as a nation we are so far under it will take years to get ourselves out of the condition we are in now.
The effects that Joe Arpaio has had in the local community have rippled through the state, and me just being another of its victims. I do realize that Joe himself never signed or proposed the act SB1070, but as sheriff he is assigned to enforce the law. Though his methods of enforcing have aroused such an impact in the community one can call it a structured riot. There have been movements, boycotts, protests, and even organizations to fight back the act. Though Joe is the controversial icon on the subject, his methods of enforcing the law have been questioned, and even considered to be racial profiling. He took the act seriously like he obviously should, but took this dictator type demeanor in confronting the situation. As an effect it has inserted fear into thee “illegal community”. As an individual I haven’t faced the direct impact of the act, but through connections with illegal immigrants I’ve begun to feel its effects somewhat through them in a way. Because of the personal connection I have with those people the thought of this act affecting their lives and even possibly having them be removed from my life isn’t the most pleasing ideal to think about.
911 really affected me personally because it has really set off a chain of events that hinder everyone's availibiltiy in the U.S. I now have to be careful what i talk about over the phone, i can't mention al Quaida or bomb in the same sentence without the government thinking I'm a terroist. I can't take liquids on the planes anymore because it can be used as a bomb, but most importantly my parents tax money which was used to fund one of the useless wars was wasted for no reason at all, and it did affect alot of decisions in my household.
ReplyDeleteTerrorism is a very broad topic so when we talk about terrorism as a whole i guess, a Christian terrorist who beliieves Jesus told him to bomb a house could affect me, and sine Osama bin Laden isn't an event, i would say i dont know? The man basically changed how the world worked in one foul swoop.
Technology is a big one because without it i wouldnt be able to do my homework or listen to music, there are so many new technological advances that could help at this moment so I think that one speaks for itself.
Going green- I have been personal impacted by the going green movement ever since I was informed about it as a child, which was to help take care of the planet for the next generations to come. I have personal kept my family informed about things we can do to reduce our eco-footprint. For example I have convinced my family to participate in earth hour for the past four years. Plus, I have been trying to get my neighborhood to join in. As well I have been taking my younger sibling out to the community and encouraging them to help clean the place up on earth day. In addition, I have been constantly telling my siblings to makes sure their trash makes it into a trash can and not on the floor. Not to mention that I will always do my best to persuade my parents to walk to the grocery store instead of driving to a store that just takes fifteen minutes to walk. Plus, I take the metro bus to school and back even though I have a choice to have my father drive me to school and back but I choice to take the metro bus even though it takes 1:20 to get to school and back. Since more benefits comes from riding the metro bus. Overall, my family makes sure to always recycle our materials and we have been discussing about getting a solar panel for our house. So I do believe that going green moment has personally affected the way I live and will affect me in the future, since have been thinking about what I how I want to live in the future. For example I want to own a car that will run on alternative fuels such as solar powered or biodiesel also I want the home that lives in, in the future to run fully by nature sources such as solar power. I can’t wait to see what new technology will allow us to use energy more efficiently.
ReplyDeleteTechnology- Technology will always affect me no matter what, since today we live in a technological period. For example I use my laptop at home and at school and it has made it easier for me to find information about a certain topics, since a computers are like a library in the tips of our fingers. Also, the medicine that I take was produce by technological advancements. There not one day that I’m disconnect from technology. Plus, technology is always advancing and is always enhancing our ability to communicate and helping us get a understanding the world around us but of course it does have a downside for example cars are large contributor to air pollution but it has also revolutionized our transportation. There negative and positive effects of technology but time will tell if all this technology was really good for us in the long run.
9/11-I wasn’t old enough to fully understand what was happening but I remember seeing it on television and seeing my mother tear up as she watch it impacted me emotional. I can clearly picture out a show that aired around two months after that’s was based on a true story about a family that was affect by it and this story made me understand the impacts of 9/11 at the time. Today the amounts of security at airports are very strict and since I may possible be going out of the country next year, it makes me nervous since it will be my first time going on an airplane. As well NSA is now allowed to hear what is been said worldwide and can share any information that might sound suspicious to the government. Also, we have developed a stereotype of the race that was involved in the planning of this event. Not to mention that their were also families that came from the same country that lost loves too but because of such actions they are also look down on and get hateful remarks by people. 9/11 didn’t really affect me directly but it has influence the way I see society.
"Going Green" has affected me in the way that I'm more aware of my environment. I know that my choices will make an impact, like what car I buy in the future, if I recycle or not and if I litter as well. The whole movement is making us aware of how our Earth is being treated, all the trash and waste and dozens of landfills. It's making us more conscious of what we do at home. My family started to recycle all the cans and plastic bottle that we have at home.
ReplyDeleteAs for Joe Arpaio I'm more affected as well as my family. The laws he wants to pass and his views would affect my family greatly. We had relatives that left for a time because they were afraid of staying in Arizona.
Technology is something that affects everyone in some way. We have computers here in school that allows us to do many things like talking to people through email or chat. Most people have the ability to use this technology whenever they want. At home I can use my computer to find information or certain things that I want to do. There is also advancements in technology like in medicine. They make medicines that help people that really need them and possibly save their lives.
The three things I feel have affected me would be Joe Arpiao, Going Green and Technology.
ReplyDeleteI’ve seen what Joe Arpiao had done to people from watching the news and how people struggled find work and make a better living but they are afraid to actually do anything because of Arpaio. It is hard for families knowing that by getting deported, they don’t know what might happen to their kids. It’s hard to avoid something like that; my family struggles hard to actually work and make money. People continue to protest against that man wanting to stop him from separating families; it is hard to live in fear on what will happen. Joe Arpaio impacted a lot of people in Arizona, be it good or bad, people don’t like him and because of this people try to convince others to try to stop what he is doing and that is why he had such a big impact to us in Arizona.
Going Green is also such a big part of society today, since I’m constantly told by my mom to recycle bottles and paper, to turn off the lights in the room if they are not being used. Though I don’t think of it much, it is present in our school, on TV with ads. Then there is people always telling me that you have to remember to recycle and to be aware of what is happening in the environment. Global warming has also become well known to the public and how it is currently affecting us. Pollution is becoming such a big problem right now.
Technology is such something important to everyone because it provides communication across the globe; I am able to communicate with my family from other states. Then there are all sorts of new gadgets coming out each week, new programs, games that provide better entertainment for everyone. Being able to buy items online and now we don’t have to leave home to buy something.Technology is such an important part of society that there are even some people who can;t live without it.
Joe Arpaio- I feel like he belongs more in local is an option because he is known for his controversial way he deals with the Hispanic people. He is here because he splits up families, cuts the jobs of the hard working illegal people,and he commands his officers to ask a "suspicious" looking person for legal documentation. That is way I believe he belongs in local.
ReplyDeleteBarack Obama- I feel like he belongs in national because we have never had an African American and that stunned the world. People over America thought if we are able to have a black president then it was possible to have an Asian president or a women president, the election of Obama opened the door to many possibilities.
SOPA/ACTA- I feel like this belongs in global because it effected everybody that had access to the internet. For example the one day this took effect on Wikipedia everybody was freaking out,and everybody thought they were screwed because this is were most people get their information. This one day showed how important the internet is to us and if this does pass everybody's lives would be majorly impacted mainly the students of the world.
Technology- Coming from a school like Bioscience where we use laptops every hour of everyday to get work done, and going home to log onto facebook and communicate with friends and family, I would say that technology is something that I use every single day, and so it has had a great affect on my life. It really has made things a whole lot easier, and is pretty entertaining too.
ReplyDeleteJoe Arpaio- Being hispanic, and having family members from Mexico, I would say that the whole immigration affair has affected me. Also, most of my friends are also hispanic, and have had some of their family members sent back to Mexico. It's almost always on the news too. Overall, I am exposed to the whole idea of immigration all the time.
"Going Green"- This idea of Global Warming is such a big thing right now, especiallly at school where we have been taught things like sustainability, and have worked with community partners like the Grow House to learn more about it. From places like school, and even at home, the whole concept of "Going Green" has been everywhere. It has allowed me to be more conscience about saving our Earth and creating a good, healthy, environment for future generations, and has therefore impacted my life.
My connections: Technology, Joe Arpaio and Terrorism.
ReplyDeleteWith Technology, it connects to not only me, but a lot of my family. Many members of my family (past and present, and hopefully including me) have worked in machine shops or have been engineers for various companies including the Santa Fe Railway and Honeywell, and technology is what we built, repaired and loved. We all worked here and in California. Without technology, I wouldn’t have my passion to be a mechanical engineer with rail transportation, and I don’t know what I would do with my life if I couldn’t become what I wanted to become. It can connect to both Joe Arpaio and Terrorism because both involve heavy use of technology; Sheriff Joe uses it to keep the border in check and to try and make sure illegal immigrants don’t cross the border, and Terrorism uses tech for their schemes involving suicide bombing or gunfights.
Joe Arpaio has a lot of influence with my family and even myself. Despite him being a local sort of guy, he is talked about in discussions with my family a lot. I have relatives who work with the city, specifically with the courts and probation to say examples. Many know of his motives, with some agreeing and some disagreeing. I’m on the border with him myself; while I do agree that the illegal immigration problem is an issue, his way of solving it and his motives slightly perturb me. I can connect Sheriff Joe to terrorism, but only because they both have motives on how to stop people from doing something. While I wouldn’t call Joe a terrorist in any shape, way or form, he does have some motives that like terrorists’ motives aren’t completely agreed by the general public.
For terrorism, my family (as well as myself a little) occasionally talk about and fear an attack that could hurt some of our loved ones. None of my family have died in any terrorist related incidents, but I got a couple of people in my family who are in the marines and army and they may go on and fight the Terrorists one day in the field of battle. As mentioned previously, terrorism uses many types of technology to try and plant bombs, initiate gunfights or to use vehicles to suicide bomb their targets. As for Sheriff Joe, they both have motives that aren’t completely “liked” by the general public.
9/11 was a terrorist act that affected me personally because I have 3 family members that have fought in the Iraqi war; two have been lost in the battle. Technology today has been affected by this, as you see the high measures that have been taken when you go to an airport. Technology also affects me personally because I want to get into computer engineering, it’s what just interests me, and without it I wouldn’t have a good reason to be going into engineering. Because of this terrorist attack now we have a stereotype as to what it looks like, what terrorist would look like, no matter how much we try to deny it, there will still be a linger of stereotypes and biased opinions. Joe Arpaio really affects me in a way because most if not all of my family is undocumented. Though of course immigration is an issue, I can agree to that but the ways that he has been trying to solve this growing problem is a bit, in my opinion, radical and makes me feel unease.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, all things, people, and events affect us in some way. It's just that some seem more direct because it affects us personally (which completes my list at the bottom). But like Mr. LaFave said, the ripple in the water will soon reach us and somehow pave the path to our future.
ReplyDelete1.)9-11...My second cousin/aunt worked in the tower that was hit first. Luckily, she was late for work because she kept hitting the "snooze" button. When she woke up, she rushed to her job, and looking up at the building, she saw her level/office in flames. The other tower started to fall so she ran. She lived that day, but a couple years later, she died from breast cancer (probably from inhaling the fumes). She was a spelling bee winner and ballerina, just like me.
2.)Technology...Just last night did I get an new phone, specifically the iPhone 4. And I’ve been playing with it all night and morning. So this has already affected me a lot because I could have gotten much more things done rather than updating everything on my new device…
3.)”Going Green”… Especially in San Francisco, they emphasize the recycling business with different colored trashcans everywhere and “how-to” instructions so that everyone knows what and what not to recycle. Here, especially with Connections Endeavors , I have been hearing this phrase of Going Green a lot as well!
9/11 – Because of 9/11 happening our security system as really been tighter than ever. Which mean security is making sure that safely is being secured when people are traveling, so whenever I see an airplane flying high (SUPER HIGH) I can be confident that security is completed their job by making sure no terrorist was on board,
ReplyDeleteTechnology - When I think of technology not only do I think of computers, phones being updated but I also think medicine (science). Since we are filled with people who are super duper smart the world of technology is always changing. As far as the computers, phone aspect of technology that has affected me dramatically. Technology is very, very efficient and convenient. I can send out a letter through mail and take me a while for a company or to whomever I’m sending it to a) receive it or b) reply. Whereas when I send out an e-mail it is much quicker. As for medicine (science) that world has also been changing too. Since I want to work in the science field that makes me how fast it’s growing.
Terrorism – Terrorism personally effects my safely. We’ve had had so many terrorist trying to get a hold of the US to damage us and that effects me because I want to be able to walk down the streets with worrying something negative is going to happen.
**I always wanted to state that all topics we have affect us one way or another but not directly.
Joe Arpio- He affected me because the laws passed put my family and friends at risk of being deported. He also arrested my Grandpa and had him deported.
ReplyDelete"Going Green"- This has made me more knowledgeable on the environment and how we are affecting it. I also changed some of the things I do in my life such as not leaving my charger plugged in and switching to CFL light bulbs.
Technology- this affects the way I live because I use some form of technology in everyday life such as computers, tv, social media, phone, etc. It also changed the way I live because now instead of going to the store to buy things I can get it online.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI remember vaguely when 9/11 happened. I was five at the time. Maybe six. We were eating dinner when the news came on with a video of two building collapsing. There were ashes everywhere. I didn't know then, but the Twin Towers was just bombed. I didn't know that the phone call that my dad received later on that day was his aunt crying and telling him that his cousin, my uncle, was in the tower and he didn't survive. I also didn't comprehend the seriousness of this event until much, much later, when I was preparing to leave America.
ReplyDeleteIt took me three times before my sister and I were granted our visa. The US Embassy was very strict. I didn't understand why because my relatives who went to America years ago said that the process isn't that hard and long. The people behind the desk explained that it was because of terrorism. 9/11 caught U.S. off guard, they said, and they'll never be as trustworthy again. They saw everyone as suspicious, even a couple of 10 and 11 year olds.
When I arrived here, in the U.S., I had to adapt quickly. I had to learn to speak and understand a new language. I had to dress accordingly to the seasons - different seasons that I was used to from living in a tropical island. But most important of all, I had to adapt to new technologies. It was my first time seeing and using a microwave. AC became my best friend here in Arizona, something that I would never have thought would happen. In school, there's laptops, microscopes, SMART boards - all of these things were not given to me freely and I didn't know how to use. I managed to adapt, I had to, but it still surprises me how dependent and how much this society uses technology.
it was a very devastating event which shocked the whole US and it made us be more secured with who we let into the country also about the precautions we take before letting someone on a plane, just the fact the overall security of the united states went up because we felt at danger with the threats we had.
ReplyDeletealso with the fact immigrations laws have been more enforced recently, because Arizona feels that we need to protect what comes and goes into our country to regulate the drug trafficking. with enforcing those laws it has made discrimination more prone to happen because mexicans or hispanic backgrounds are the main target and it causes them to feel threatened with their protected rights they have.
Local- "Going Green"- I want to be an environmental scientist when I grow up. I want to help restructure the way we think about energy and sustainability. I want to build for others as well as me sustainable homes that are completely self sufficient.
ReplyDeleteNational-9/11- My family is affected by this because when we first came back to the states it was only months before 9/11. My older brother was pulled from his class and questioned as well as the rest of my family. It was really scary for us because we didn't do anything, but we were still considered suspects and people stopped being friends with us. People were very afraid. After this my family stopped speaking Arabic in order to not attract attention (because of this I don't know my first language).
Global-Technology- Advances in technology allow me as well as many others to learn in new ways such as this blog. It allows us to interact in new ways. We have the technology of the world literally at our fingertips.
Terrorism affects me in no way I can think of, just possibly how they inspect you in airports and such. Technology effects globally very well because everyday, everyone uses technology and making a use of it, whether its good or bad. I use technology everyday, I have been using it everyday since birth. I also think that locally, Joe Arpaio has effected the majority of Hispanics in this state, including my family with his influences of political thought and racial profiling.
ReplyDeleteAdvancements in technology in the past 12 years has affected me in many ways from my daily routine to how well I can see. Many different things like advancements in personal computers and mobile telephones as well as mass storage devices and medicinal products. The going green movement has affected me in a big way because I think without that I currently wouldn't be working on a hybrid- biodiesel vehicle here at school and I wouldnt have the relationships I have with people that I do today. Without my participation in that project I wouldn't know much building skills nor the names of general tools. I wasn't directly affected by Joe Arpio but it has affected me in the way that it seems like he made racial profiling a common practice here in Arizona and that could affect me in different ways like if I were to try and get a job someone might not hire me because of my ethnicity. And I know there are laws against that but who really follows them to the best of their ability? I think that he sparked a movement against illegal immigration and a lot of our efforts are put there but I believe there are more important things we should put our efforts towards like Arizona's educational system.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteTechnology - It's a huge part of my life. Most of my school work revolves around it and it's mostly how I contact people that live far away. In a summary, it makes up most of my life.
ReplyDeleteJoe Arpaio - As a descendant from immigrants and an immigrant myself I'm very biased towards this subject. He is known for his treatment towards immigration. I personally know people that are affected by the matter so I find this to be very easy to connect to.
Going green - I personally find this "movement" to be a little obnoxious but it does affect me. A lot of things have been changing the past few years in efforts to better our environment. Things that no one ever thought about are now being put on the spotlight.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBarack Obama: Barack Obama opened many doors for African Americans and even people that come from rural areas. He is a great example of how people can get out of the “slumps” and become something great! He is now looked up to and is a big influence in many life including my own.
ReplyDeleteTerrorism: Specifically trying to find Osama bin laden caused a lot of disturbance in the United States. This also caused multiple wars and caused us to lose some of our very own. or take them away from us because troops were sent to Afghanistan and iraq.
Joe Arpio: In some areas even hearing his name brings a bad facial expression. People turn upset and fill with anger. Their attitude changes once he is brought up into the conversation. certain people have strong thoughts about him and are sometimes expressed through our conversations.
National 9/11 and Global-Terrorism
ReplyDeleteI was really young when this happened but i think how i connect to this, i had a few family members living in new york and working around the areas where 9/11 happened, i think that 9/11 along with terrorism AND Osama unleashed a lot fears that we didn't have before and really made me thing about my daily life and how safe we really were. During that time i was in elementary school and i had a lot of friends who were Muslims in school and they were getting discriminated because of him. And Arpaio affected me because i am Hispanic and a lot of my family members have been deported to Mexico, I've lost communication with a lot of my family members that i used to be really close to and it has really affected me and my whole family.
Technology-Technology is so intertwined with everyday life. Most communication comes from things like email and text. Hardly anyone sends letters anymore.
ReplyDelete"Going Green"-This affects me personal because I am involved with urban farming and Eco home improvements as well being so involved with alternative energies through BHS and E-Tech.
President George W. Bush-this affects me because he ha some much to do with the middle east, no child left behind, and the national budget.
1. 9/11: Though I was just in kindergarten when this happened yet every year I am reminded of the tragedy that happened that day. Though I don’t really remember how I felt that day or exactly what was going on around me, I did notice the outcomes of the event. Airport security changed, a war was started, different friends and families were leaving, the outlook people had of the middle east became a negative one, as well as the outlook people had on the United States.
ReplyDelete2. "Going Green": Since the topics of going green and sustainability was introduced to me here at Bioscience, it has been a part of my subconscious. This year, going green has become a big part of my life and education. From BioChem, I have learned of and become interested in many new environmental issues and remedies such as the Super Fund Site, the Phoenix Public Market, biodiesel, all the negative effects that fossil fuels have on the environment, and more. I think that as a community, we are very green. Overall, this is something that I can relate to directly because I am a part of the movement of “Going Green”.
3. Joe Arpaio: Being on the Mexican descendents and a first generation immigrant myself, he has really impacted my life not just because of what he has done, but also on how he has influenced others as well. With his extremist way of treating illegal immigration, he has split families, and influenced politicians like Jan Brewer to create things like S.B. 1070.
9/11: My family was shocked when we first saw it, our sense of living in a safe place was destroyed, my parents started to bother me more, the next day of school was the longest day and all we did was morn, some people made a bigger deal out of it then it was, i cant really say anything about September, or NY without someone saying 9/11, it bugs me.
ReplyDeleteTerrorism (inc. Osama): My parents don't know much about it so i would have to explain it to them, the threats that my friends get make me panic.
Technology: I grew up with technology and it has made things easier but it has also made my family stay inside more then they should, it has made school easier with our laptops, it also distracts us, i have kept in touch with my friends more but i can't go out into nature and camp like i would like because everyone's too busy with technology.
Technology- I believe that technology affected almost all of us. Because of technology we able to have internet and computers and laptops that we have today. Some of us could not survive without Facebook or the internet. It's not only the internet it's also phones and music. Today we have iTunes and we also have smartphones.
ReplyDelete9/11- 9/11 affected a lot of people. I remember the experience when it happened. Alot of people got scared that people would get bombed or something. My dad got the rest of the day off because of his boss and i got to come home early from school.
Local- Economic Crash affected us locally, but it can also fit National and Global It has impacted me and our surroundings. There was a lot of poverty. Now it is getting better. But its something that impacted Arizona and the United states aswell.
ReplyDeleteNational- SB1070 seems to be something national. By national I mean the United States, or the North America. This affects my family, because there are members who want to have a better life and they want to go to places like the US to accomplish that. The event can be something good in other perspectives like over populating, or diseases, but it’s something that has to be looked over again.
Global- Technology has been a huge impact to our world these past twelve years. There have been many advances and personally I feel that is good. Technology is making our world easier; it is being used all over the world. With the advancements of technology we are able to connect around the world. Technology is something that is obviously in some part helping our world to improve.
I feel that Technology makes the most immediate impact in my life because i use it so much. Everything is at my finger tips and has become an integral part in the way that i grew up. Now i am able make an amazing presentation for a class or make my computer crash if i need to and it ultimately sways the decisions that i make. I do feel that although we are able to do so much that we aren't using it to the best of our abilities ( i know that i am not) and we idolize it for the simple things that it does, and don't truly see the value in it.
ReplyDeleteWhen i was younger i don't think that i found 911 as big of an idea that it was. Later in life when i started to grasp concepts a little more i became more empathetic about the people who experienced lose and were directly affected. Everyone has their stories on everything that happens and from my time in school i have met a lot of people that have a history more so my past history teacher. He told me about his brother was in the building at the time when it went down, and he really changed my perception on how i value myself and my family.
Last, i don't think that Joe Arpaio directly affects me but i do think that he poses a threat to the ideas and perception that we have on our current situation. I feel that since he has such a big impact that he is able to make sure that people know what he is trying to do and the people that you would not think sponsor him and in turn support his message and i think that is how we are all affected.
Going green because I see all the green advertisement and people becoming more about using reusable energy that it makes me to act green as well it has a big influence on the choices I make like recycling being more interested in finding it ways to reduce energy and find alternatives. I also support any idea of going green. President Obama does not directly affect me but in a sense it makes me proud of our country because we’ve come a long way since those days of discrimination and he was our first African American president which brings pride to many people and to me. I would say that Joe Arpaio connects to me because my family and people around me are being affected by the searching in companies for illegal’s and many people in my community struggle to make ends meet when they lose their jobs because they have no citizenship, but I see in my community families being separated which really creates a community that despises Joe Arpaio and I know that he isn’t the only one involved but to people he is the reason to families that he is the reason for their families being separated
ReplyDeletePM
ReplyDeleteLocal-
Joe Arpaio- I feel that this man has made a large impact on Arizona itself. He has been the main drive behind immigration these past few years. He has struck fear in the eyes of many, and has influenced some local people to go on strike. In Arizona's local border (mexico) there has been rumors of a prize for this man's head. Not only have people been triggered to protest, by they have been triggered to do something beyond that. This affects me because I am the race that he is targeting, my family, my friends and every man out there trying to support his family by sending home money. His assumptions are based by appearance and not by the questions and answers.
National-
Raised National Debt Limit- This has changed the lives of many. It has either made or broken lives. It affects me personally because some family members today, still can't find a job. Or they are losing their job due to bad business. This is bringing us down from being the Super Power of the 21st century. It is making other economies stronger and more well off than us.
Global-
9/11- I believe that 911 has been the most profound event we have had in the 21st century. It struck a dent so far in the United States that to this day we have not recovered from. This led to new wars new enemies and to lives being taken on a daily basis. This triggered the Afgan War, which led to our Nation purchasing more things to spending more and it has been a big downside to this nation’s economy. This affected me personally because i never thought the US had anything to fear but in the end, the enemy was across the sea and i plan on defending my country. Whether that means here on paper or up on the battle front, decision is yet to be made.
Joe Arpaio affects a lot of people that live in Arizona because of the decisions he made and the families lives he affects as well. Me being a young Mexican lady, I have relatives who may succumb to racial profiling because they are Mexicans. I feel like with this he is putting us (Mexicans) in the same pot not worrying who we are.
ReplyDeleteGoing green is something that is trying to be done globally for we are all trying to do something to make the world a better place to live in because we are slowly killing mother nature. This affects me personally because my family went from having a big car to perhaps a smaller car. I am even becoming more aware of things that I may have to recycle, and other things like that.
Technology affects everyone not just me. It is changing at what appears to be on a day by day basis. It's advancing to become something new and therefore at times it seems as if it is becoming more complex. Technology appears to be something that now a days everyone relies on to do something.
Event/Person #1: Barack Obama
ReplyDeleteMy life is impacted by Obama's election because he has a major part in my life as to my rights, my privileges, how companies treat me and have control over my life, so on. I can't personally list every way that he has subtly changed my life, but many actions that affect me can be found at http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/
One example is allowing children to stay on parent's insurance plans until they are 26.
Event/Person #2: 9/11
9/11 effected a lot of people personally and emotionally, but overall the consequences affect me even more. Due to the attack, global security (including the US of course) has increased. We see this in airports of course. Also, while 9/11 was not the only reason we went to war in Afghanistan, it still triggered our involvement. This affects me because like Mr. Lafave said, gas prices are driven up. On a more personal level, I know people going into the army to serve in the war. Also, the money that we're spending to sustain our involvement could be spent in other places like better school programs, scholarships, college support, or research/medical fields.
Event/Person #3: "Going Green"
The "Going Green" movement, if you can call it that, is a large part of my life. Every day I hear about new environmentally friendly initiatives. Obviously in school we focus on sustainability in our biochem class, and I'm sure that it will be a factor of everything i do in the future. Obama relates to this going green initiative as well, as he increased standard fuel efficiency to 27.5 mpg to 35.5 mpg starting 2016.
9/11- I recall this event to some extent but I was too young to see how this affected me directly. I know that now, what affects me is its ripple affects. That would have to be the current strict security in airports. The reason I say that this affects me is because I am a pretty frequent flyer and every time I travel there is always new guidelines that the public has to abide to in order to pass security.
ReplyDeleteGeorge W Bush- George W. Bush has a lot to do with the way our country is shaped today. Some of the things that he did while he was in office cause things like our recession. That would also be a ripple affect when it comes down to talking about Bush's influence. The recession affects all us because it prevents us from buying and doing some of the things that we would normally always do before this.
Going Green- This movement affects me because I can partially contribute to the well being of this planet. I can also be a potential leader/contributer when it comes to promoting this movement. I can also leave this planet better for the generation to come.
I really don't think that there is a lot on either of these lists that have affected me directly, I guess the only tow that really effect me right now are 9/11 and George Bush. For example, 9/11 affects me a lot because I fly quite frequently at least twice every two months and I've realized that airport security has continued to get tighter and tighter. Now, they have something more advanced than the, usual, metal detector.
ReplyDeleteI think George W Bush has also affected me because the the decisions he made while he was president are affecting our economy today, for example the prices of everything are continuing to go up, however, the value of those things are going down.
Terrorism, Raised National Debt Limit, 9-11
ReplyDeleteThis event has affected us all especially where we live. I travel took international flights from Phoenix to Philippines and entering the country in Hawaii is takes a long time. There were a lot of questions that are asked by customs and the process was really long. Terrorism has also affected and I’m sure other people have been affected by this because every time I’m in an airplane, I always think of the bad stuff that might happen. Terrorism obviously affected us all because we invest a lot of our money to weapons and war instead of using it for our own country. There were a lot of people that was laid off and jobs are really hard to find. The war that was caused by 9-11 affected me indirectly because of my close friend was a Medic in the army so he got deployed.
Even though I wasn’t in the US when 9-11 happened, as I was watching Cartoon Network that time, the show suddenly got changed because everyone was so focused on what happened. It was like the whole world was watching. This has affected me because since when we applied for a visa and green card, the whole process really took a long time. They asked us a lot of questions and there was a high chance to get denied. It took almost 4 months before we got a reply. They told us that before the attack happened, it usually only took like 2 months for them to reply back. I guess the US was just being cautious of the people who are entering the country because they thought everyone was a threat.
I’ve only been in the US for 5 and half years and the effect of the recession. Before people were buying a lot of houses and was just living their own version of the “American Dream”. Now you see all these houses that are foreclosed houses. We used to go on road trips a lot but now as gas prices went up, it’s really makes you think twice when you go at the pump and see that you spend hundreds of dollars just on gas.
Raised National Debt- this has caused not only us to suffer because we looked "dumb" and "irresponsible" for having done this because it shows that we are not trustworthy so that when we go to other countries for "help" as in a form of a loan these other countries look at us and judge us because we wont be able to pay them back or it might just take us a long to do so and we "other countries" dont want to wait that long time so the immediate effect is the lost of potential goods and the profit that couldve been made.
ReplyDeletePresident George W. Bush - george bush i think set the standards for what came next he left things so that we can fix them and i think people dont realize it he left them so that we could learn a lesson on how to do better in a bad situation but i think that the new people that came into office thought of it as a oh crap how we are we going to fix this instead of a were going to. and i think that george bush left alot of things undone in other countries because he had a plan for them but the plan didnt go as it was supposed to so he left those problems were they were and it allowed for time for those problems to make a new strategy and change their rolls as problems.
Company Bailouts/The Bailout (of car, bank, and insurance companies) - i think company baiouts was one of the ones that not only wouldve affected companies in the united states but if they were to have lost all that money it would have affected the bases of these companies all over the world for example ford in mexico which is a us based company and general motors witch is based in the USA but it has expanded its way thorughout china and mexico and we see cars from general motors in almost everysingle part of the world were there is a road.
Company Bail outs & Raised National Debt: This affected myself because it made me get a job to try and help out my mom and become more independent. By taking on a job it takes away my time from school work I could be doing at home, it takes out my free time. Its not all negative it is teaching to be more responsible with a lot of things like time management, spending, and saving. This has effect my life right now.
ReplyDeleteGoing Green: Everywhere I go in life people are always talking about going "Green" and I try to go help out with cleaning up but to me it seems pointless because no matter what you do you can't stop big companies. The planet is doomed!
I think the most influential events are 9/11,going green, and technology.
ReplyDelete9/11 has affected me in many ways. I remember i was in class drawing/coloring when the announcement came on and the whole school was like really sad. But what really affected me was the fact my brother after seeing what happened was really afraid of planes. Every time he saw a plane he would throw himself on the floor in the fetal position and he would be terrified. If he didn't throw himself on the floor he would run inside the nearest building.
Going green has affected me because i really am interested in helping out in that area particularly gas and fuel. When we talked about that in biochem i decided that i wanted my first car to run on bio-diesel because i found really amazing that i could make my own fuel meanwhile helping the earth out as well.
Technology has greatly affected me because i am super addicted to my computer. I could be on it for like days straight. I think that that isn't a good thing but that just one way its really influenced me. Technology has really opened up doors for me as well because i have decided to take up a carrier in computer technology and i think with the ever changing technology there will always be some sort of job for people in that field.
1. Raised National Debt Limit
ReplyDelete2. Joe Arpaio
3. Company Bailouts/The Bailout (of car, bank, and insurance companies)
I would say that the raising of the national dept limit, Joe Arpaio, and the company bailout all affect me and me locally because they all have to do with money. The US raising the debt limit is not a good thing, it means we owe more money to other countries which means there will be cuts on budgets and they will be cutting the things at they say are not essential. While they are spending millions of dollars on killing wars outside the country while there is plenty of crime here that needs to be taken care of. So one of the budgets that is cut in times like these are usually school budget and that affects me because I’m a student and without money. We won’t be able to things like going on trips and getting what is most essential as a student which is having teachers that are paid well and know what they are doing. With Arpaio is that he too and he embezzled money out of funds that were not meant for him and the bailout is bad and good but all can affect us in several of ways.
Local-
ReplyDeleteJoe Arpaio
"Going Green"
Personally, Joe Arpaio has affected my mind set. It has affected my feelings about my own ethnicity. It makes me sad of how discrimination still lurks deep within some parts of society.
The idea of going green has inspired me to join many projects such as the xr-3, and E-tech club. in which our goal is to set an example and inspire others to change the ways they live to better help their economical situation as well as their environmental status.
National-
Raised National Debt Limit
President Barack Obama
President George W. Bush
Bush has affected directly affected my certain parts of my family with low income. It has made it hard for some family members to maintain upkeep with their bills. The decisions that bush made during his presidency definitively had an negative economic affect on me.
Global-
9/11
Company Bailouts/The Bailout (of car, bank, and insurance companies)
Well i could say that Joe Arpio has affected me a lot. Not only has it affected me but my family members and by that it has affected me even more. Having the fear of having someone i love racially profile because of his beliefs. Something that has also affected me has been technology. I would say that without technology, i would be were i am right now. I wouldn't be to communicate with family outside my house, nor friends. Technology is what makes up this great place and with it it, what are we? The 3rd thing that has affected me has Barack Obama becoming president. This might sound silly but in my mind it gives me hope because not only was he of a different race, but because of what he believed.
ReplyDelete9/11- 9/11 was probably one of the most momentous days for this country, and the aftermath has been drastic, but for me, it went beyond that. It goes beyond that. On 9/11, not only did it knock the country off their feet, it knocked my family off their feet. On that day, my dad was driving to work, he worked closeby to the towers, and he watched the towers crumble from his car. He never made it in to work, but because of traffic being in a stand-still and everyone being paralyzed, he didn't get home for several hours. But in the mean time, my (future) step-dad was running in to the towers trying to help save people and find my aunt who worked in the towers. My aunt never made it ourt of the towers. They didnt find her body, but they found a shard of bone in the wreckage that identified her. At home, my school was faced with a bomb threat that day, the called-in threat being tied to the 9/11 attack. Which sent my hometown in an even bigger uproar, because now an elementary school filled of young children of evryone in town was in danger. Parents were scrambling to get their children home, but at the same time not wanting to turn away from the TV becuase of the broadcast of the attacks. I remember, I was 5, when I finally got home, I was herded into our living room and had a blanket given to me, and told not to move and dont look at the TV while my parents stood, jaws agape, watching the TV, and waiting to hear the news about my aunt. Being the curious child that I was, I stood in the doorway and watched the news with my parents, unbeknownst to them. I was too young to fully comprehend what was going on, but over the next few days when school resumed, I noticed when a boy from my class, with an ethnic name, never came back. And I was there when I sat with parents on the sofa for hours waiting to hear my AUnt's name read off, one name amongst thousands. I remember the funeral, and the way, my young mind still didnt understand fully what was happening, and the way as we walked out of the church that day, I pointed to a billboard with Dunkin Donuts advertisement saying, "mommy, daddy, can we get donuts?!". On 9/11 I lost my aunt, my school lost its sense of safety, and the entire country lost its belief in security.
ReplyDeleteTerrorism- When I hear terrorism I first think of 9/11, but that's not all, terrorism has evolved over thousands of years, from sticks and stones, to bombs and nuclear weapons, but its not just that, its a mentality. Think of the holocaust, or the fight for civil rights. Terrorism is defined as the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes; the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization. Terrorism is a broad topic, but by definition, doesnt bullying fit inside there? racism? sexism? Being a victim of bullying for many years, and also seeing others around me being bullied and standing up for them, terrorism isnt just wide-scale attacks, its an act, but it can be an act on any scale. We are all survivors of terrorism, and in more than one way.
Technology- When you say technology, many think computers and cell phones, but in reality, the definition of technology is the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, it does not say electronics. Technology has changed my life whether it be by what electronics I have, what knowledge I know, or what experiences I have had, technology has made much of it possible.
9/11: ever since this has happened, i feel that airort security has gotten more strict, and people have become more stereotypical towards Islamist and Arabic people in general. And when I was little, I remember seeing all the news reports on T.V. and over the radio, and in elementary/middle school, how we had a moment of silence for those who died in the terrorist attacks.
ReplyDeleteJoe Arpaio: As a Mexican, I feel like Arpaio, ever since he has expressed his opinion on illegals, more people have done the same. And also, seeing as that he can stop you just because you may *look* like an illegal immigrant, can scare a lot of people, especially those who are here illegally.
Technology: Technology has not only affected me, but it's affected all those who use it. Technology we have now, helps us complete things a lot easier, and a lot faster than before, and it can keep things interesting.